400g white flour without yeast
20g fresh yeast
50 unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
a pinch of salt
- Dissolve the fresh yeast and sugar in warm milk.
- Place the flour in a large bowl only around the edges so the middle is hollow.
- Stir in the yeast, add slightly beaten eggs, softened butter (cut into cubes), lemon zest and vanilla extract to the centre of the bowl and slowly mix in the flour and knead 1-2 minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt and knead the dough. You want to keep it a little wet but slightly firm.
- Cover with a clean cloth and let rise (in a warm place) for 2 hours or until almost double or triple the size.
- Roll out the dough with the help of a roller on a slightly floured surface until the dough is about 1 cm thick before using a cookie cutter to make circles (about 6 cm diameter) and then a much smaller circle in the middle.
- Place the doughnuts on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and cover with a cloth and let them grow in a warm place until double the volume.
- If you want to bake the donuts in the oven, after doubling the volume, place the pan in the oven preheated to 170 º C.
- If you want to fry them, heat some oil and fry them before letting them cool on paper towel.
- And then, I sprinkled mine with icing sugar :)